Thursday 5 July 2012

Major Clubs Competition. Fly Fishing on Rutland Water

Dream fish! A Rutland rainbow
It's always been a dream of mine to fish at Rutland Water. Famous the world over for its superb trout fishing, this Midlands reservoir covers a little over three thousand acres and it was here that the latest Major Clubs competition was to be held. The Bristol Reservoirs Fly Fishers Association team had asked me to fish for them and so I set off for what I hoped to be a successful trip and to realise a dream. I just hoped I wouldn't be disappointed, but I need not have worried. Arriving the day before the competition for a quick practise session, I was straight in to the fish. Orange Blobs tempted my first Rutland rainbows and so the next morning I woke up both excited and quietly confident. Six teams were taking part, thirty six anglers between eighteen boats and after some breakfast we all took to the water. The day passed quickly, exploring a new water and trying several different areas proved both equally enjoyable and daunting but I found fish and ended the day with five trout for 12lb 8oz. All taken on Rutland Buzzers. A pleasing days catch and made more so upon finding out that my contribution had helped our team to second place, finishing just behind the British Army's team who took the number one spot. A fantastic result and a really good couple of days. A long held dream realised in superb style! Information about Rutland Water and the fishing available, can be found at both www.rutlandwater.org.uk and www.anglianwater.co.uk

Rutland Buzzers fooled my fish

No comments:

Post a Comment