Thursday 25 August 2011

Hectic Barbel Sport on UK's Favourite River

Dad with a large Courtfield barbel caught last month
Time again to visit my favourite stretch of the River Wye, The Wye and Usk Foundation controlled Courtfield, in search of my favourite species, the barbel. Previous visits to this brilliant river this season have produced barbel to 8lb 12oz and chub to over 5lb so I was looking forward to what I hoped would be another memorable day. We arrived to find the river running very low and clear, far from perfect conditions but none the less we set up in our favourite swims. Sport during the afternoon was predictably slow with myself and dad taking just one barbel each. The hours past and we sat through several heavy showers watching some large salmon jump whilst awaiting the forecast brighter evening in hope that the barbel would get their heads down later on as they often do. A Dynamite Baits 15mm Sardine and Anchovy boilie presented on a size 6 Drennan Specimen Plus hook tied to 12lb breaking strain fluorocarbon fished on a running 2oz lead was the set-up I hoped would fool a fish or two and as the light faded we both began to receive rod wrenching bites, barbel after barbel graced our nets, the biggest weighing an ounce short of 8lb. Darkness had fallen and was the only thing that stopped us catching more and as we packed up I found myself already looking forward to my next trip to this fantastic venue. For information regarding fishing the River Wye visit www.wyeuskfoundation.org
A 5lb plus chub caught during a previous visit this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment