Thursday 10 January 2013

Trout Tuition. Fly Fishing at Burton Springs Fishery

I promised Jon some time ago that I would take him fly fishing. Jon had never cast a fly rod before and so on Tuesday we made the trip to Burton Springs Fishery, so that he could wet his first line. The one acre trout lake here, is the perfect place for a beginner to get to grips with casting and with a good head of fish, there is a very good chance of putting one or two on the bank. I set Jon up with a 9' 6" 6# rod and floating line and spent some time showing him the technique of casting a black cruncher fly. I soon felt happy to leave him to it and set about tackling up a few different rods for my own use. I didn't have to wait long before a rainbow trout of about 2lb 8oz took a liking to my black nymph. A good start! Soon after releasing this fish, Jon hooked a trout. A decent brown was soon in the net. Jon's first fly caught fish! We both expected more fish to follow quickly, but the next few hours proved very hard, we both received a few pulls but the only fish landed was a second rainbow for me. A fish of about 3lb. Plenty of trout were showing all through the afternoon, but catching them was a tricky business. By the end of the day, I had landed a further two trout, for a total of four. Jon, unfortunately had to settle for just the one. All things considered, a decent day! I know Jon was very pleased to have caught on his first try and is keen to give it another go. And, my four rainbows, landed on a damp January day, were enough to put a smile on my face.
    Burton Springs Fishery provides excellent fly, coarse and carp fishing, over three lakes and all the information you need can be found on their website, at www.burtonspringsfishery.co.uk

A lovely Burton Springs Fishery rainbow trout

No comments:

Post a Comment