Thursday 20 June 2013

Fly Fishing for Wild Brown Trout at Grwyne Fawr Reservoir

Double hook up! Brown trout on dry flies
Fly fishing at a remote reservoir set high in the Black Mountains, accessible only by an hours walk, would not be everyone's idea of a relaxing days fishing. My friend Rik and I however, had been looking forward to this trip for a month or so. After the long walk we arrived to find the reservoir flat calm at the dam, but a slight ripple at the far end. We started at the dam end and by fishing a pair of nymphs on a 5lb leader I was in to a fish on only my third cast. A lovely wild brown trout of about 12oz. Moving along the bank every couple of casts produced a few more pulls, before we both changed to dry flies. This produced fish for both of us before a strengthening wind forced us to the opposite bank, where I hooked a big fish which unfortunately broke my leader. Re tackling with a 7lb leader soon caught a couple more trout, no bigger than the ones we had already been catching though. We fished on until early evening, catching a few more, before taking the long walk back to the car and heading for home.

Rik with the biggest of the day
The dam wall

 






3 comments:

  1. Fly fishing with spinnerbaits you need to narrow your skills to the type of water you are fishing, and whether you are trolling.

    Alaskan Fish Species

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, can I ask who holds the fishing rights and how you obtain a permit to fish here? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi can anyone tell me where I can get a fishing permit to fish this please. Cheers

    ReplyDelete