Thursday 20 October 2011

An Afternoon Afloat. Fly Fishing on Blagdon Lake

Myself and friend Martin Lowe took a boat out on Blagdon Lake on Tuesday afternoon in search of some trout. The gusty winds made handling the boat tricky but we found some shelter in Butcombe Bay and allowed the wind to drift us across the area whilst we fished red Daiwl Bachs and Crunchers. A brown trout of 2lb 8oz was my reward for braving the conditions, only my second brown trout of the season so I was very happy! Despite the chilly, blustery wind it appeared the trout were feeding up in the water so we made a switch to dry flies and fished claret Bobs Bits for the remainder of the day. I managed a further two trout, both rainbows, weighing 2lb 8oz and a smaller fish of 1lb 10oz before it was time to head for home. Sadly a blank for Martin but an enjoyable day was had by us both. Next week I am back afloat, this time on Chew Valley Lake and not for the trout but for the lakes pike. Fingers crossed for a successful time!

My Blagdon brown trout makes it two this season

No comments:

Post a Comment