Thursday 25 April 2013

Birthday Fly Fishing on the River Usk, Gliffaes Llandetty


A River Usk brownie
April 22nd is my birthday and what better way to spend it than going fishing! I had booked The Wye & Usk Foundation controlled beat, Gliffaes Llandetty, a stretch of the middle River Usk available on a day ticket for £24.00. I arrived at the beat at 10:30 am and set up with a pair of tungsten head nymphs on a 9' 5# rod. The morning past without a fish but early afternoon brought a change in the weather and as the sun broke through the clouds, a hatch of March brown's brought the trout to the surface. Quickly changing to a leader of 8lb fluorocarbon with a tippet of 4lb Drennan Double Strength and a grey wulff fly, the closest match I had in my box, I cast to the nearest feeding trout and watched as it sucked the fly gently off the surface. Sport was hectic from then on, with six trout, all around twelve inches, netted and several more hooked briefly, then lost. A very enjoyable days fishing. All you need to know about The Wye & Usk Foundation, can be found at www.wyeuskfoundation.org I stayed at the Gliffaes Country House Hotel, which I can thoroughly recommend. Visit www.gliffeashotel.com for more information.






A view of the salmon pool

No comments:

Post a Comment